Welcome to The Grahame’s Bakery
World Famous Award Winning Butter Tarts Page
Grahame's Bakery World Famous Award Winning Butter Tarts
Makes 18 tarts
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup (75 to 125 mL) cold water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) raisins, packed
1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; grate the shortening into the flour and gently stir to break any clumps.
Stir in the cold water with a table knife until combined. Sprinkle in a little more water if pastry is too dry or crumbly.
2. Knead pastry just to bring the dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.
Halve the dough; roll each half on a lightly floured board into a large circle about 1/8-inch (3-mm) thick.
Cut into 3 1/2-inch (9.5-cm) circles and gently press circles into muffin pan cups. Tarts will take up half of each muffin cup.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degreesF (190 degreesC).
4. In a bowl, blend together eggs, butter, sugar and raisins. Spoon into pastry cups and bake 18 to 20 minutes, until pastry is golden.
Remove from muffin tin and serve.